Generally, cortisol is termed as the stress hormone because of its link with stress level. When you are in stress, cortisol hormone starts releasing in your body. The pituitary gland controls the cortisol hormone that is secreted from adrenal gland; well, sometimes it may affect your body adversely with low and high levels of cortisol hormone. Hence, it is essential that you have a bit knowledge about cortisol, so that you can maintain the proper balance in the body to stay healthy. Here we will share some information about cortisol to help people stay fit and healthy.
How cortisol helps our body?
Cortisol influences different functions of our body because there are many receptors in different body cells of our body. When there is an imbalance of cortisol level in our body, it affects in various manners. This is the reason, “why we take cortisol supplements.” But it is advised to consult your doctor before taking cortisol supplements. What cortisol supplements does to our body?
- Cortisol helps in controlling the blood sugar level.
- Cortisol also controls blood pressure.
- It regulates the metabolism in our body.
- Cortisol also helps in reducing inflammation.
- It is also suitable for memory formulation.
- Cortisol maintains the balance of salt and water in our body.
- In the case of women, cortisol acts as a support system for the fetus during pregnancy.
- It won’t be incorrect if we say “cortisol is a vital hormone for the proper functioning of our body system.”
What are the high-level cortisol issues associated with our body?
As discussed cortisol is an essential hormone for our body. But if the cortisol level becomes higher in our body, then this is something you should worry about. High level of cortisol can be quite dangerous for our body. Let’s see how high level of cortisol affects our body.
- If the level of cortisol becomes higher in blood, it may lead to a tumor in the pituitary gland or adrenal gland which is known as Cushing syndrome, in medical terms.
- Due to Cushing syndrome, some people start gaining weight.
- High level of cortisol also increases blood pressure and blood sugar level in the body.
- Some people may experience the problem of osteoporosis, due to a high level of cortisol in the body.
- High cortisol level also affects the menstrual cycle in women.
- People may also suffer from anxiety and depression due to the presence of high-level cortisol in the body.
How low level of cortisol affects our body?
As of now, we have known that high cortisol level can affect our body badly, on the other hand, the low cortisol level is also not good for our health. The main thing we have known from this article is, “there should be an adequate amount of cortisol present in our body.” Let’s also check out the drawbacks of the low level of cortisol for our body; this will help you to understand why to take cortisol supplements.
- Low level of cortisol may cause a condition known as Addison disease or primary adrenal insufficiency.
- Addison disease is a kind of autoimmune disease that can damage the adrenal gland of the person having this health issue.
- At the initial stage, you might not figure out the symptoms of this autoimmune disease, but slowly it may cause severe effects to your body.
- Due to the low level of cortisol in the body, one may feel fatigue quite frequently.
- It also starts reducing body weight and loss of muscles.
- You may also observe some changes in the skin and feeling of anxiety.
- The blood sugar and blood pressure level may even get down occasionally due to low cortisol level in our body.